Almost half of the world’s population is using the internet – Cisco’s latest figures show that as of December 2015 there were 3.26 billion internet users, that’s over 40% of everyone on Earth.
The internet has come a long way since Tim Berners-Lee’s ‘world wide web’ brought online connectivity to the masses during the 1990s, and is now such a powerful force, it is responsible for trillions of pounds worth of direct and indirect revenue to the world’s economy – the estimated turnover of UK digital tech industries alone reached a staggering £161 billion in 2014.
We ran a Twitter poll to see what people thought the scale of global internet use was, and although it was close-run thing, most incorrectly thought that there are currently 4.26 billion people online.
— EdgeThreeSixty (@EdgeThreeSixty) December 6, 2016
So if you were surprised that there are in fact around 1 billion fewer people currently using the internet, we think you might find some more of 2016’s internet stats equally as illuminating…
The internet in 2016
Worldwide internet stats
1. Most online users
2. 98% of people in Bermuda use the internet – the highest penetration anywhere in the world.
3. Number of websites
4. There are currently 123.78 million registered .com domain names – the .com TLD accounts for 50% of all registered TLDs.
Ever considered an alternative TLD? Here’s how it could spell disaster for your SEO and branding.
Web traffic stats
5. Highest ever traffic volumes
6. 2.9 billion Google searches are made every day – that’s one trillion fifty-eight billion five hundred million a year.
7. Bots, scrapers and spammers
8. WordPress is the world’s most popular CMS, powering over a quarter (27.1%) of all websites.
Ecommerce and mobile internet stats
9. In 2015, 64% of all in-store sales (worth £1.7 trillion) were influenced by the internet.
10. UK retail sales
11. Global B2C e-commerce sales reached £1.3 trillion in 2015, and are set to hit the £1.8 trillion mark by 2018.
12. Hacker stats
Is cyber security fatigue putting your business at risk?
13. There are more mobile internet users than desktop internet users – 52.7% of users access the web on a mobile device.
14. Social media shopping
15. In 2015, mobile accounted for over £784 billion worth of retail sales.
16. 4 out of 5 consumers use a Smartphone to shop.
Check out our full range of services to see how our team can help with your sites responsiveness and ecommerce capabilities.